As a Purchasing Manager, you will perform tasks revolving around all aspects of new home construction as it relates to estimating and budgeting residential homes.
Estimates and budgeting will cater to standard tract type designs as well as custom and semi-custom homes. Ability to establish, cultivate, maintain and promote strong trade partner relationships while negotiating the best pricing yet maintaining high standards of quality labor and materials.
Essential Purchasing Responsibilities
Understand all cost related items from and not limited to subcontractors, vendors, bids, quotes, estimates, job cost, and all related items to purchasing, budgeting, and estimating new homes
· Ensure negotiations with Trade Partners produce best outcome for both parties and are conducted in line with company best practices and standards; Continually negotiate with Trades to save and implement more efficient ways of purchasing.
· Actively participates in industry, client and community relations to enhance company image
· Constantly recruit and qualify new Trade Partners through networking
· Responsible for entering into negotiations with Trade Partners; ensuring proper registration prior to starting jobs
· Oversee contract management for all Trade Partners
· Maintain effective relationships with Trade Partners
· Manage subcontractors and suppliers to provide the best price and quality within the set scopes of work
· Build, maintain and ensure accurate information for inclusion and architectural plan sets in BuilderTrend
· Responsible for management of the Inclusion plans and the estimates and budgets they produce · Review and prepare new budgets as necessary
· Work with sales team to select options that improves the quality and aesthetic appeal of our houses to set Creative Homes apart from other builders.
· Creatively source new products that are cost effective or to help lower overall cost options
· Must maintain a good working relationship with sales and be able to meet with customers to price out customer options and discuss change orders · Update and maintain detailed estimates, scopes of work and budgets for each job.
· Field questions pertaining to purchasing, estimating, materials, proper procedures and scheduling
· Stay current with industry trends and provide insight for future business decisions
· Track, Review, and Provide reports and data to save costs and identify areas of opportunity · Work with CAD Department on plan changes for purchasing efficiencies.
· Manage and influence department to keep plans up to date and enter takeoffs into the system in a timely manner
· Assist with material quantities: calculating all materials needed, such as square footage calculations, lineal foot calculation, square yard, and squares of material needed in the construction of certain models.
· Provide assistance in Plan Swift with proper pricing on base plans and custom changes
· Work under the direction of the President to control and reduce cost; re-negotiate contracts and bids, re-price homes, jobs and activities to save in the cost of construction in order to keep a competitive edge.
· Continuously seek ways to reduce construction cost and streamline processes.
· Collaborate on best pricing from Corporate Rebate Programs · Work with vendors to negotiate and maintain the rebates given and ensure discounts are received.
· Obtain proper training to fully and efficiently utilize BuilderTrend.
· Report to the VP Construction with all field issues that are brought to your attention so they can be resolved.
Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, have the ability to proofread and edit, and can complete projects in a timely manner. Job requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong negotiation and organizational skills with attention to detail and follow-through. Must have the attitude and ability to adjust to rapidly changing priorities and challenges, and be able to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously with a professional, positive demeanor.
Education and/or Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Construction Management, or Engineering preferred.
· Minimum of 3 years of purchasing, contract administration and estimating in the home building industry.
· Certificates, Licenses & Designations: None required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
· Must have a solid working knowledge of home construction process
· Thorough knowledge of construction/building materials and labor
· Ability to read, interpret and develop blueprints, take offs, scopes of work, specifications and other construction documents.
· Strong negotiating skills and ability to overcome objections
· Ability to build and maintain strong relationships
· Experience in BuilderTrend preferred. Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel and Outlook.
· Organized, professional, detailed, works well under pressure. Excellent computer, written, verbal communication skills.
· Highly motivated person with ability to motivate others
· Works well independently and with others as a team
· Able to complete estimates accurately and efficiently.
· Able to do a complete takeoff from a blueprint.
· Able to bid homes as necessary.
· Performs administrative duties in an office environment
· Operate standard office equipment
· Some travel to job sites required
· Able to perform work duties during weekdays, including Saturdays, if required.
· Able to work with minimal supervision
· Able to lift up to 10 lbs.
The entire time at Creative Homes has been phenomenal to work with through our building process. This is the 3rd time I have built and everything about the process has been second to none. I appreciate the entire Creative team and cannot speak highly enough of their work!!
We absolutely loved our new home from the first time we saw it, and have felt the same ever since moving in! From start to finish the entire process working with Creative Homes was smooth sailing. We couldn't be happier with our house or our home buying experience!
From the initial conversations and choosing our lot and floor plan, to our design meeting and the actual build itself Creative's team made us feel at ease and went above and beyond. We felt like they truly cared and looked out for our best interests.
This is the second home we have built and after the horrible experience we had the first time, I said we would never do it again. Thankfully, our experience with Creative Homes was the exact opposite. We have had a wonderful experience with the quality and detail of the home and everyone we have met from Creative Homes.
Wow! It's hard to know where to even start and I know I won't be able to list everything, but I have to try and tell you how we awesome we feel about the whole building process with Creative Homes and how much we truly love our new home. The process of building with Creative Homes was the most relaxing (sounds weird, but so true!) home building experience we have ever been through. The communication provided from the very start until the very end has been phenomenal. Not once during the whole process did we ever sit and wonder what was going on regarding our home. I honestly wish I could name everyone behind the scenes at Creative Homes who works so hard to make customers like us have such an awesome home building experience. This company has the standards and employees that all companies should take note of and follow the example of.